BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Principal Consultant - Accounting Research & Policy in Chattanooga, Tennessee
Uses general business knowledge to provide management decision support through research and analysis of relevant accounting and financial reporting guidance and standards. Through experience and expertise, develops, establishes and analyzes accounting policies and procedures to ensure accuracy and compliance.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Research, analyze and prepare memorandums and whitepapers on new and proposed accounting, reporting and disclosure standards issued by the FASB, NAIC and other applicable regulatory agencies; review financial statements and regulatory reporting to ensure appropriate application of standards.
- Prepare memorandums and whitepapers to document research and findings related to complex or non-standard business transactions and collaborate within Financial Accounting & Reporting to ensure appropriate accounting treatment is applied.
- Collaborate with Divisions and Leaders throughout the Company on new issues, transactions or inquiries to identify and communicate the related accounting implications.
- Develop and establish accounting policies in compliance with GAAP and Statutory accounting standards and collaborate within Financial Accounting & Reporting to ensure established policies are understood and implemented appropriately.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- Minimum 7 years relevant, progressive work experience in accounting/finance; weighted equivalent years - 1 year experience in public accounting = 2 years of applicable work experience
- CPA required
- Advanced understanding of financial/accounting theory
- Advanced understanding of internal controls over financial reporting
- Self-motivated, organized, detail oriented, able to multi-task, prioritize work and manage within aggressive timelines
- Collaborate effectively with partners to assist and improve flow of information across areas
- Ability to comprehend and produce written technical communication
- Proven strong analytical and problem solving skills required
- Proven ability to perform non-routine analytical tasks required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Job Specific Requirements:
Number of Openings Available:
BCBST BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, Inc.
BCBST is an Equal Opportunity employer (EEO), and all employees and applicants will be entitled to equal employment opportunities when employment decisions are made. BCBST will take affirmative action to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals in all job classifications without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, gender identity, or membership in a historically under-represented group.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee via-email, the Internet or any other method without a valid, written Direct Placement Agreement in place for this position from BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee HR/Talent Acquisition will not be considered. No fee will be paid in the event the applicant is hired by BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee as a result of the referral or through other means.
Tobacco-Free Hiring Statement
To further our mission of peace of mind through better health, effective 2017, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee and its subsidiaries no longer hire individuals who use tobacco or nicotine products (including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco, gum, patch, lozenges and electronic or smokeless cigarettes) in any form in Tennessee and where state law permits. A tobacco or nicotine free hiring practice is part of an effort to combat serious diseases, as well as to promote health and wellness for our employees and our community. All offers of employment will be contingent upon passing a background check which includes an illegal drug and tobacco/nicotine test. An individual whose post offer screening result is positive for illegal drugs or tobacco/nicotineand/or whose background check is verified to be unsatisfactory, will be disqualified from employment, the job offer will be withdrawn, and they may be disqualified from applying for employment for six (6) months from the date of the post offer screening results.
Resources to help individuals discontinue the use of tobacco/nicotine products include smokefree.gov or 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
As Tennessee's largest health benefit plan company, we've been helping Tennesseans find their own unique paths to good health for over 65 years. More than that, we're your neighbors and friends – fellow Tennesseans with deep roots of caring tradition, a focused approach to physical, financial and community good health for today, and a bright outlook for an even healthier tomorrow.