This position provides application design, analysis, programming, testing and documentation for the development, integration, enhancement, and maintenance of information systems solutions.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Formulates and defines system scope and objectives through research and fact-finding to design, develop, modify, or integrate complex information systems
- Devises or modifies application systems and procedures to optimize functional requirements including capacity, operating time, response time, and form of desired results.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents programs, subroutines, and scripts.
- May serve one or more project team roles, such as project lead, business systems analyst, or technical lead, for small to medium efforts or manage phases of medium to large efforts.
- Competent to work at the highest phases of applications systems analysis and programming activities
- Enhances the design of current systems to improve system capabilities to meet the changing needs of the business.
- Works with business users or business systems analysts to understand requirements and translate them into technical specifications
- Develops and implements program/system test plans. Devises data verification methods and standard system procedures.
- Maintains technical skill set for software languages, databases, platforms, operating systems, utilities and networks needed to support work assignments.
- Assists in preparing and maintaining application design document.
- Responds to system failures and performance events by taking appropriate measures to reduce system downtime and eliminate recurrence of problems.
- May conduct presentations to provide end users with knowledge to maximize their use of developed systems.
- Provides technical leadership on assigned projects or discovery efforts.
- May coordinate work assignments and verify results of applications systems analysis and programming personnel.
- Regularly provides guidance and training to less-experienced analysts/programmers.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent years of experience is required. (Equivalent years of experience are determined as one year of technical experience for every year of college requested).
- Minimum of 3 years, typically 5+, years experience in systems analysis and programming required
- Expert working knowledge of at least one programming language in use at BCBST
- Experience in the health insurance industry preferred
- Knowledge of information technology concepts, application development methodology, terminology and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, organize and prioritize multiple assignments and associated resources.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and translate technical and/or complex concepts into information meaningful to team members and/or business personnel
- Excellent communication skills in technical and non-technical forms are required
- Proven analysis, design, and coding skills, and demonstrated success in leading medium to complex technology-based efforts.
- Knowledge of BCBST’s basic business operations is preferred
- Working knowledge of information technology in use at BCBST is required.
Job Specific Requirements:
Position Specific Qualifications:
BCBST or health industry experience a plus.
Number of Openings Available:
BCBST BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, Inc.
BCBST is an Equal Opportunity employer (EEO), and all employees and applicants will be entitled to equal employment opportunities when employment decisions are made. BCBST will take affirmative action to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals in all job classifications without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, gender identity, or membership in a historically under-represented group.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee via-email, the Internet or any other method without a valid, written Direct Placement Agreement in place for this position from BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee HR/Talent Acquisition will not be considered. No fee will be paid in the event the applicant is hired by BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee as a result of the referral or through other means.
Tobacco-Free Hiring Statement
To further our mission of peace of mind through better health, effective 2017, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee and its subsidiaries no longer hire individuals who use tobacco or nicotine products in any form in Tennessee and where state law permits. A tobacco-free hiring practice is part of an effort to combat serious diseases, as well as to promote health and wellness for our employees and our community. All offers of employment will be contingent upon passing a tobacco/nicotine test. An individual whose test result is positive for tobacco/nicotine will be disqualified from employment and the job offer will be withdrawn. Individuals who fail the tobacco/nicotine screening will be permitted to reapply for employment after 6 months, iftobacco/nicotine-free.
Resources to help individuals discontinue the use of tobacco/nicotine products include smokefree.gov or 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
As Tennessee's largest health benefit plan company, we've been helping Tennesseans find their own unique paths to good health for over 65 years. More than that, we're your neighbors and friends – fellow Tennesseans with deep roots of caring tradition, a focused approach to physical, financial and community good health for today, and a bright outlook for an even healthier tomorrow.